Database recommendation: Maria DB or PostgreSQL

Database recommendation: Maria DB or PostgreSQL

Bengt Rodehav
I'm in the process of choosing database system for my next project. It's a
web application running on Apache Karaf. Not very high throughput
requirements. Easy operation (backup/restore and good GUI) is important to
me.

But, I also need to know that it works well with OpenJPA. In the OpenJPA
documentation I cannot see any explicit support for MariaDB - only MySQL.
Is MariaDB supported and does it work well with OpenJPA?

Does PostgreSQL work well with OpenJPA?

/Bengt

Re: Database recommendation: Maria DB or PostgreSQL

ilgrosso
On 07/10/2016 09:47, Bengt Rodehav wrote:
> I'm in the process of choosing database system for my next project. It's a
> web application running on Apache Karaf. Not very high throughput
> requirements. Easy operation (backup/restore and good GUI) is important to
> me.
>
> But, I also need to know that it works well with OpenJPA. In the OpenJPA
> documentation I cannot see any explicit support for MariaDB - only MySQL.
> Is MariaDB supported and does it work well with OpenJPA?

Despite of being missed in

http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/2.4.1/apache-openjpa/docs/ref_guide_dbsetup_dbsupport.html

the MariaDB dictionary is there since OpenJPA 2.3.0, hence you can just
select 'mariadb' as you would do with 'mysql' or 'postgres'

We'll update the documentation page soon, thanks for reporting.

> Does PostgreSQL work well with OpenJPA?

Yes, of course :-)
Jokes apart, at Apache Syncope we are supporting both DBMS via OpenJPA,
and we had no bad surprises so far:

http://syncope.apache.org/docs/getting-started.html#internal-storage

HTH
Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Database recommendation: Maria DB or PostgreSQL

ilgrosso

> On 07/10/2016 09:47, Bengt Rodehav wrote:
>> I'm in the process of choosing database system for my next project.
>> It's a
>> web application running on Apache Karaf. Not very high throughput
>> requirements. Easy operation (backup/restore and good GUI) is
>> important to
>> me.
>>
>> But, I also need to know that it works well with OpenJPA. In the OpenJPA
>> documentation I cannot see any explicit support for MariaDB - only
>> MySQL.
>> Is MariaDB supported and does it work well with OpenJPA?
>
> Despite of being missed in
>
> http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/2.4.1/apache-openjpa/docs/ref_guide_dbsetup_dbsupport.html

The SNAPSHOT guide was just updated:

https://ci.apache.org/projects/openjpa/2.4.x/docbook/ref_guide_dbsetup_dbsupport.html

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Database recommendation: Maria DB or PostgreSQL

Bengt Rodehav
Sorry, never did thank you for your reply!

I ended up choosing PostgreSQL and so far it works fine.

/Bengt